LIHEAP (Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program) and LIHWAP (Low-Income Home Water Assistance Program) are programs of the Department of Human Services administered by HCEOC for the people of Hawaii County.
These programs can help manage costs related to utility bills and energy or water crises by providing one-time payments directly to your utility provider.
Each household is eligible for one type of LIHEAP assistance — EC or ECI — per program year (beginning October 1), in addition to LIHWAP.
LIHEAP Energy Crisis Intervention (ECI)
For households in energy crisis, meaning electric or gas service has been or is about to be terminated. LIHEAP ECI applications are accepted every month year-round.
LIHEAP Energy Credit
For households not in crisis needing assistance. The application period runs yearly from June 1-30. The 2023 application will be available here on June 1.
LIHWAP Water Crisis Intervention (WCI)
For households in water crisis, meaning water service has been or is about to be terminated. LIHWAP WCI applications are accepted every month year-round.
You qualify for LIHEAP/LIHWAP if you meet all of the following conditions:
- You are a full-time legal resident in Hawaii County and have a permanent place of residence
- You are responsible for and provide proof of a utility bill: either an electric or gas bill for ECI/EC assistance or a water bill for WCI assistance
- You provide proof of most recent income for all sources of your household’s total earned and unearned income
- Your household’s total annual income is below 150% of the Federal Poverty Guideline for ECI/EC assistance or below 60% of the State Median Income for WCI assistance.* Use our income limits chart to check your household’s eligibility.
- At least one member of your household is a US citizen or a lawful permanent resident
- All adults in your household provide a picture ID and signature on the application
- All members of your household older than one year old provide a Social Security number
* Your household may be eligible for assistance regardless of household’s total income if someone in your household receives SSI, SNAP, or TANF benefits.
LIHEAP ECI runs year-round, but space is limited to 20 applicants per month and fills quickly. Applications are accepted starting the first business day of each month from 8 AM to 12 PM by email, mail, or in person. All supporting documents must be included for your application to be considered complete.
For in-person support, our staff can assist you at our LIHEAP Office Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 12 PM.
47 Rainbow Drive
LIHEAP Office, Bldg 1
(upper right lot)
Hawaii County Economic Opportunity Council
47 Rainbow Drive
Hilo, HI 96720
(Attach as .pdf or .doc file)