LIHEAP (Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program) and LIHWAP (Low-Income Home Water Assistance Program) are programs of the Department of Human Services administered by HCEOC for the people of Hawaii County.
These programs can help manage costs related to utility bills and energy or water crises by providing one-time payments directly to your utility provider.
Each household is eligible for one type of LIHEAP assistance (Energy Credit or Energy Crisis Intervention) per program year beginning October 1, in addition to LIHWAP.
Energy Crisis Intervention
For households in energy crisis, meaning electric or gas service has been or is about to be terminated. LIHEAP ECI applications are accepted every month year-round.
For households not in crisis needing assistance. The application period runs yearly from June 1-30.
Water Crisis Intervention
For households in water crisis, meaning water service has been or is about to be terminated. LIHWAP WCI applications are accepted every month year-round.
You qualify for LIHEAP/LIHWAP if you meet all of the following conditions:
- You are a full-time legal resident in Hawaii County and have a permanent place of residence
- You are responsible for and provide proof of a utility bill: either an electric or gas bill for ECI/EC assistance or a water bill for WCI assistance
- You provide proof of most recent income for all sources of your household’s total earned and unearned income
- Your household’s total annual income is below 150% of the Federal Poverty Guideline for ECI/EC assistance or below 60% of the State Median Income for WCI assistance.* Use our income limits chart to check your household’s eligibility.
- At least one member of your household is a US citizen or a lawful permanent resident
- All adults in your household provide a picture ID and signature on the application
- All members of your household older than one year old provide a Social Security number
* Your household may be eligible for assistance regardless of household’s total income if someone in your household receives SSI, SNAP, or TANF benefits.
Apply for LIHEAP or LIHWAP by email or at our Hilo office. Applications are processed in the order they are received. The application cycle opens at the beginning of every month and closes at the end of every month or once the program has been filled.