H-HEAP (Hawai’i Home Energy Assistance Program) is a program of the Department of Human Services administered by HCEOC for the people of Hawaii County.
These programs can help manage costs related to utility bills and energy crises by providing one-time payments directly to your utility provider.
Each household is eligible for one type of Hawai’i Home Energy assistance (Energy Credit or Energy Crisis Intervention) per program year beginning October 1st.
Energy Crisis Intervention (ECI)
For households in energy crisis, meaning electric or gas service has been or is about to be terminated. Applications are accepted every month year-round , on a first come-first serve basis.
Energy Credit (EC)
For households not in crisis needing assistance. The application period runs yearly from June 1-30.
You qualify for H-HEAP if you meet all of the following conditions:
- You are a full-time legal resident in Hawaii County and have a permanent place of residence
- You are responsible for and provide proof of a utility bill: either an electric or gas bill for ECI/EC assistance
- You provide proof of most recent income for all sources of your household’s total earned and unearned income
- Your household’s total annual income is below 150% of the Federal Poverty Guideline for ECI/EC assistance or below 60% of the State Median Income for WCI assistance.* Use our income limits chart to check your household’s eligibility.
- At least one member of your household is a US citizen or a lawful permanent resident
- All adults in your household provide a picture ID and signature on the application
- All members of your household older than one year old provide a Social Security number
* Your household may be eligible for assistance regardless of household’s total income if someone in your household receives SSI, SNAP, or TANF benefits.
Applications are processed in the order they are received. The application cycle opens at the beginning of every month and closes at the end of every month or once the program has been filled. We have a limited number of appointment spots available and will only accept the first twenty (20) clients.
To reserve your application appointment, we strongly encourage you to call us on the first business day of each month at 808-731-7009, option #1. Our phone lines are open at 8:00am. We will not take any calls before 8:00am.